Welcome to the new Eyes of Faith group!
We’re glad you found us. 🙂 Eyes of Faith is a Christian photography interest group where we encourage participants to gather and explore ways we can use photography as an expression of our faith and in community service.
Who is Invited? YOU!
We all see the world differently, and when it comes to matters of faith and religious beliefs we humans come to different conclusions. This group is a Christian photography group and all are welcome. We don’t claim to have all the answers. Maybe you have a strong Christian faith. Maybe you are “spiritual” but don’t affiliate with any religion. Maybe you are still searching for answers, but find yourself stuck with more questions than answers. I bet you might still find this group worthwhile. Even if you are not sure if any of this applies to you, perhaps you might gain some new insights by working on projects with us to create photographs that depict different “faith” related topics. For example, what might “forgiveness” look like in a photograph? So, regardless of where you are on these matters, you are still invited. Come as you are. We also look for ways we can use our photography as a service to the community.
This group is sponsored by Bethany United Methodist Church in NW Austin. You don’t have to be a member of Bethany to attend. All are invited! Meeting location is listed below.
May 2018 Meeting
Meeting Date/Time: May 7, 2018 7pm
Join us for our monthly meeting!
Photo Sharing + Bring a snack if you like!
Photo Topic: Symbols of Christianity
Let’s use this May meeting as a time of sharing and fellowship.
Bring a snack if you like (not required)
The Photo Challenge: Bring along several of your photos on a USB stick that depict images that express the various symbols of Christianity and the church. Examples would be anything associated with church such as the church building, a cross, a steeple, inside or outside of a church such as architecture or maybe something on an altar or stained glass windows. Or it could be a cross symbol found in nature, a shadow in the shape of a cross, etc. Be creative!
We will also share about our experience in a community service project we took on to provide photography for a “Special Needs Ministry Prom” that’s taking place on April 28th. Several Eyes of Faith members volunteered at our April meeting.
Meeting Location: Kevin Gourley Photography Studio, 11740 Jollyville Road Suite #400, Austin, TX click here for directions
Your Next Steps:
Here are a few great quotes by world-renowned photographer Ansel Adams …
- “When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.”
- “Sometimes I arrive just when God’s ready to have someone click the shutter.”
- “A great photograph is a full expression of what one feels about what is being photographed in the deepest sense and is thereby a true expression of what one feels about life in its entirety.”
And here are a few more quotes we love:
- “I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” – C.S.Lewis
- “What makes art Christian art? Is it simply Christian artists painting biblical subjects like Jeremiah? Or, by attaching a halo, does that suddenly make something Christian art? Must the artist’s subject be religious to be Christian? I don’t think so. There is a certain sense in which art is its own justification. If art is good art, if it is true art, if it is beautiful art, then it is bearing witness to the Author of the good, the true, and the beautiful.” – R.C. Sproul